Author Topic: Tinkering in 3D art  (Read 1493 times)

AgentOwen

• View Profile
Tinkering in 3D art
« on: December 08, 2016, 08:29:11 AM »
I've started tinkering around with Daz3D and this is from a story thread I've been working on. General theme is a bunch of CTU (Counter-Terrorism Unit) get betrayed and ambushed by a fellow fed.

Thoughts?

Kid Bronco

• For your info. Kid Bronco is also phil
    • View Profile
Re: Tinkering in 3D art
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 11:15:24 AM »
Those are quite good. Thanks for letting us have a look. The one from above, looking down on the scene, is especially nice because it's a perspective we don't see that often. Although I tinker around some with Photoshop, I know nothing as yet about Daz3D. If you'd care to tell us more about the process (or app?) I, for one, would be interested in hearing more about it. From the ones you posted here, I do see somewhat of a 3D effect. So, one of the things I'd be interested in knowing is whether the process can be applied to existing photos that we have or do you use ones the program/app provides for you?

pakman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 03:46:43 PM »
As the Brits say "brilliant!" Your renderings are excellent; I've been tinkering with Daz3D for some time now and have not been able to even do a full rendering of any of my subject matter. I wish we could talk off-line about how you did these; I've been looking for someone who can offer me some direction or advice working with this particular 3-D program. If you're interested in helping me, please send me a private message. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the story!

pakman
pakman --  "Nihil humani alienum puto."

AgentOwen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 09:03:23 PM »
If you'd care to tell us more about the process (or app?) I, for one, would be interested in hearing more about it. From the ones you posted here, I do see somewhat of a 3D effect. So, one of the things I'd be interested in knowing is whether the process can be applied to existing photos that we have or do you use ones the program/app provides for you?

Daz3D is a free 3D rendering program that you can download (www.daz3d.com). You can then buy products from their online marketplace and use them to create scenes. Using camera and light settings, you then create these photo renders from the 3D scene. I have not taken a deep dive into the actual cameras and proper lighting of the scenes; people who are better at it than I can create different moods in the photos.

Not really designed to use existing photos because everything is in the Daz3D universe. I don't use Photoshop (another way to enhance the renders after they come out of Daz3D), but I think that is likely the better tool for editing current photos. However, there are tools that allow you to build 3D models from photos. For instance, if you had good reference images, you could build a 3D model that looks similar to someone you're crushing on, and then do with them as you please in Daz3D.

Kid Bronco

• For your info. Kid Bronco is also phil
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 05:58:20 PM »
Ah, that's really interesting. Thanks so much for the info.

AgentOwen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 11:35:00 AM »
As a follow up, some more of my work (a few months old now). This short story can be viewed on here: https://ctuagentowen.tumblr.com/post/158311867089/one-of-my-earlier-3d-stories-featuring-three